Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach, CA

This was our first stop on our trip to Disneyland. Huntington Beach was only 15 minutes away from our hotel in Anaheim so I couldn't pass this place up.

We arrived right around sunset so they had all the exterior lights on. Don's has one of the best tiki exteriors I've ever seen! I wish I brought my DSLR but I only had my little point-and-shoot; I got a couple of good shots anyway.

Here's a view from the side parking lot:

And here's a couple shots from the front:



























I love their signage. Apparently the shark sign was left over from the restaurant's previous tenants, Sam's Seafood.

Anyways, we walk in and the decor is awesome. Tikis, palms, fountains, puffer fish lights, bamboo, the works! The main dining room has a gorgeous tiki-fied giant waterfall:

We sat in the dining room rather than the bar because we were starving after driving 6 hours, but I did walk around the bar for a minute, nicknamed the "Hidden Village." Here's a bar interior shot:

So we order our drinks from a very small selection with no explanation to what the drinks are. I get the Rum Barrel, which is strong and rummy. We also got Sam's Lapu Lapu, which aside from being served in a bamboo-shaped glass was completely without garnishes! I love a good cocktail monkey or umbrella stuck in a pineapple slice, and when I get a tiki drink without a garnish I'm bummed! At least it tasted good. I couldn't tell you what the drinks tasted like because after a day of driving with little food, we got fairly drunk pretty fast...

Here's a picture of the rum barrel mug (which you can buy for $25 and get a free drink, which is a bit steep in my opinion.)

I have to mention our appetizer, the brie quesadilla, which was AMAZING!!! I love my cheese, and this was so delicious.  Our entrees weren't bad (again, no idea what we got, as we were pretty inebriated) but I know they weren't as good as the quesadilla.

They have a couple of private party rooms in the back with great decor, here's a couple of pics:






















Next time I visit I definitely want to sit in the bar, which was more densely tiki (and they have happy hour!)

No comments:

Post a Comment