Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Forbidden Island- Alameda, CA

A few nights ago, we went to my favorite tiki bar, Forbidden Island, which just so happens to be in my hometown of Alameda!
Here are some pictures of their signage:
I didn't get many good pictures on the inside because it was so dark and I felt invasive using the flash on my camera but I did get one picture of the bar:
The decor is incredible! The entire place is covered in thatch and bamboo; the booths are designed to be little private tiki huts. There's vines, fishnets, a carved tiki fountain, glass floats and blowfish lights. Someday I'll have my own tiki room/bar and it will look exactly like this.

My first drink was the house special, aptly named the "Forbidden Island." It comes in a take-home tiki mug with a customized stir stick and a beautiful orchid:
Not only is it nice to look at, it's one of the best tasting rum drinks I've ever had. I'm not sure what's exactly in it, but here's how their website describes it: "Our signature drink is a hearty grog, filled with lime, pineapple, and our secret mixture of rare spices and liqueurs." Yummmmm.

We also had the "Sidewinder's Fang," which was sour, tart and very refreshing. The last drink had was the "Tropical Itch;" I would describe it as a smokey passion fruit drink and very strong...

Forbidden Island has a unique drink rating system that let's the customer know the alcoholic strength of the beverage, from 1 to 4 "cocktails". All of our drinks were 3 or 4 "cocktails"; by the time we finished I was floating out the door.

Next time, we want to try the "Fugu for Two," a two-person drink served in a ceramic puffer fish bowl. Can't wait to go back!

Here is the website so you can check them out for yourself: www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment